clouds threaten rain or snow. Why does he stop at the little
The desk was of the spacious commercial sort, with a heavy mahogany lid. Everything inside was in the most perfect order. A row of "pigeon-holes" at the back had their contents specified by printed tickets. "Abstracts of correspondence, A to Z;" "Terms for commission agency;" "Key of the iron safe." "Key of the private ledger"--and so on. The ledger--a stout volume with a brass lock, like a private diary--was placed near the pigeon-holes. On the top of it rested a smaller book, of the pocket--size, entitled "Private Accounts." Mrs. Wagner laid both books open before her, at the pages containing the most recent entries, and compared them. "I felt sure I had forgotten it!" she said to herself--and transferred an entry in the ledger to the private account-book. After replacing the ledger, she locked the desk, and returned the key to Jack.
"Remember," she said, "the rule in London is the rule here. My desk is never to be opened, except when I ask you to do it. And if you allow the key to pass out of your own possession, you cease to be Keeper."
"Did I ever do either of those two things in London?" Jack asked.
"Then don't be afraid of my doing them here. I say! you haven't put back the little book." He produced the key again, and put it into the lock--while Mrs. Wagner was occupied in placing her account-book in her pocket.
"Its proper place is not in the desk," she explained; "I usually keep it about me."
Jack's ready suspicion was excited. "Ah," he cried, with an outburst of indignation, "you won't trust it to me!"
"Take care I don't set a bad-conduct mark against you!" said Mrs. Wagner. "You foolish fellow, the little book is a copy of what is in the big book--and I trust you with the big book."
She knew Jack thoroughly well. His irritable dignity was at once appeased when he heard that the biggest of the duplicate books was in his keeping. He took the key out of the lock again. At the same moment, Mr. Keller entered the office. Jack possessed the dog's enviable faculty of distinguishing correctly between the people who are, and the people who are not, their true friends. Mr. Keller privately disliked the idea of having a person about him who had come out of a madhouse. Jack's instincts warned him to leave a room when Mr. Keller entered it. He left the office now.
- moving westward. Then, one day, he announced that half
- job of campaign manager, and he quickly accepted. David
- base and to swing voters might have a chance, because the
- She straightened in his arms, drew her head back, black
- Was it, though, the ever beautiful blossoms of hollyhocks
- When I got home, we helped a group of unemployed sheet-metal
- students performance with the previous year and with other
- was Galatians 6:9: Let us not grow weary while doing good,
- fit, often wandering along in the great flower garden that
- he said he would find it himself. He did, and the next
- generous early help from Arkansans, Bob Farmers efforts
- An elderly couple, Edward and Annie Davis, told me they
- resources were at an end; it must be another's work to
- their eyes that Dr. Elders was pro-choice. Now they claimed
- explained to the Dukakis people that the speech would work
- pet topic, the miseries of the present situation in Japan.
- designs to a successful conclusion. One party he moved
- was spending too much on yesterday and todayinterest on
- who had previously worked for my friend Father Tim Healy
- deep desire for normal lives. They told us their number
- out to be lignite of little value, in the sandstone (probably
- in sharing facilities and administrative and marketing
- a geisha with a halo. Surely this was a night of witchery!
- Task Force on Education, and reported that they would be
- innocent purpose: each parish has a public musket, and
- they helped to modernize the Democratic Party and later
- arrangements a little more complicated, but I wanted to
- to do. We are not here to save the Democratic Party. We
- and ran like a hare, her yellow silk dress gleaming in
- fit neatly in their ossified Democratic box, they said
- a huge figure in Democratic politics, our finest orator
- as if it were, hovering, indefinitely threatening, closing
- reason we have seen so many parrots lately; the cheucau
- Court, but he didnt want that job, either. I think he loved
- the lights came up again. Then every time I mentioned Mikes
- has a big impact on what they can accomplish. It had also
- which swirled fully three feet of water, which, slowly
- operation worked to keep the delegates quiet. Also, they
- intimate, she told him that she would come whenever she
- seen enough in Arkansas and in my travels around the country
- end of the apartment. A steady stream of dirty water was
- Senator Al Gore, Senator Paul Simon, Senator Joe Biden,
- On September 6, I finished organizing the governors office
- Nelsons campaign had lifted those three words from a section
- of an ancient tertiary epoch) of which these islands are
- today, but it was good enough to lead the field in early
- ever has to leave home to find a good job. Until then,
- I also knew I could start the campaign with a core of enthusiastic
- the steps again, finding himself now nearly up to his armpits
- was, in political language, a two-fer: besides managing